How to apply?
Application forms can be obtained from the Centre for Graduate Studies or downloaded from the official website (http://cgs.unimap.edu.my/). Forms can also be obtained at UniMAP’s exhibition booth at various Postgraduate Education Fairs.
General requirements of the application are as follows:
- Fill in the form in block letters using black ink or typewriting.
- All sections must be filled in. State ‘NA’ (not applicable) where necessary.
- The completed application form (PIT01) and two referees forms (PIT02) must be submitted with the following documents:
- Malaysian Applicants – Money Order of RM50 for processing fee to ‘Bendahari UniMAP’.
- International Applicants – Non-refundable processing fee of USD 30 via telegraphic transfer, SWIFT code: BMMBMYKL
- Two (2) certified copies of degree with full Academic Transcripts or equivalent qualifications.
- Foreign candidates are also required to have TOEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or any other English tests that is equivalent. Candidate with a degree from listed countries* is exempted from this requirement.
(*Anguilla, Marshall Islands, Antigua & Barbuda, Mauritius, Australia, Montserrat, Bahamas, Namibia, Barbados, Nauru, Bermuda, New Zealand, Botswana, Nigeria, British Indian Ocean Territory, Pakistan, British Virgin Island, Palau, Cameroon, Papua New Guinea, Canada, Philippines, Cayman Islands, Rwanda, Dominica, Saint Helena, Falkland Islands, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Federal States of Micronesia, Saint Lucia, Fiji, Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, Gambia, Samoa, Ghana, Seychelles, Gibraltar, Sierra Leone, Grenada, Singapore, Guam, Solomon Islands, Guernsey, South Georgia and the South of Sandwich Islands, Guyana, Sri Lanka, India, Sudan, Ireland, Swaziland, Isle of Man, Tanzania, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Jersey, Turks and Caicos Islands, Kenya, US Virgin Islands, Kiribati, Uganda, Lesotho, United Kingdom, Liberia, USA, Madagascar, Zambia, Malta, Zimbabwe)
- Letter of undertaking for scholarship/training award/study loan (if applicable).
- Letter of approval/official leave from employer/relevant authorities to pursue this program (if applicable).
- Copy of research proposal (for research mode applicants).
- Four (4) copies of every page of International passport and four (4) copies of passport-sized coloured photographs for student pass/visa application.
Acknowledgement letter will be sent through candidate’s e-mail. Only fully completed forms will be processed. All applications are to be addressed to:
Centre for Graduate Studies (CGS)
Universiti Malaysia Perils (UniMAP)
No 114 – First Floor
Taman Pertiwi Indah
Jalan Kangar – Alor Setar
Application form can be submitted to Centre for Graduate Studies by several methods as stated below:
- By postal mail (to the above address)
- Fax to +604-9798334 (attention to Dean)
- By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can be made throughout the year. Notification of acceptance/rejection will be given within 2 calendar months from the date of receipt of the completed application form.
Mixed Mode and Coursework
The closing date of the application period is normally 2 months before the beginning of the programme. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be made within 2 weeks after the closing date. Overseas candidates are recommended to apply well before the closing date, whereby notification of acceptance/rejection may be received within 2 weeks upon receipt of the completed application form but not earlier than 3 months before the commencement date of the programme.
Prior to Application
- A candidate for postgraduate programme by research is advised to think of possible projects for his/her study, and is encouraged to search for potential supervisor in Universiti Malaysia Perlis. A brief research proposal indicating the area of research that the candidate intends to carry out should be submitted to the Dean of Centre for Graduate Studies together with postgraduate application form. The proposal will be evaluated by the postgraduate study committee at the department level. The committee will appoint a supervisor/supervisory team with expertise in the chosen area of research.
- In cases where the candidate does not have a research proposal, a list of potential research projects/areas will be provided by the Department to the candidate upon request. It is advisable to contact Postgraduate Program Chairman and respective lecturers for further discussion on project/potential supervisor(s).
- Main-supervisor must be from UniMAP’s academic staff with expertise in the area of research proposed by the candidate. If required, an additional supervisor may be appointed. On a case-to-case basis, an additional External expertise or Field supervisor from other university or research institute may be appointed to facilitate project supervision.
- Candidate may request for a particular supervisor, however final decision will have to be based on mutual consent and approval by the university.